Above are the four panes I built from scratch to fit the weird sized opening. As it turned out, they were neither very time saving or cheap. Evidently acrylic prices have spiked thanks to Covid and unlike lumber prices, they haven't come down much. Also, in the midst of this build, I opted to get my Covid booster and flu shot and suffered a bit for a couple days. But I persevered and got the windows built. They are waiting for glue to dry, need caulking and then I can hopefully work to install them in the next day or so.
Below is a closeup showing my simple window frame geometry. The beveled side will case out and has a small relief cut into it for caulking to be applied to make these more or less water proof. I just cut the pieces with a bevel on each end and wood glue. Normally this is considered a weak joint and if I were shipping these across the country, I would reinforce it but since it is just going to be carried down the hill and inserted into a rough opening where it should never see any stress for the remainder of it's life, I forwent the reinforcing of the corners. The wood glue should be enough to get it in place where I will screw is securely to the surroundings.




0 Yorumlar